Communication Effectiveness Workshops
Core components of our workshops include:
• Pre-session consultation to understand audience's specific challenges and capacity-building needs
• Cases and role plays designed to challenges
• Day-long learning session focused on teaching communication techniques proven effective in work settings. Participants engage with concepts through role play, group discussion and individual reflection.
• Development of individual learning and practice plan
• Elective coaching* between sessions to reinforce practice
• Half-day follow-up session(s) designed as a "clinic" to discuss practice experiences and real participant cases
*Coaching is a highly recommended activity that accelerates individuals' progress and facility with the techniques.
Rather than offering off-the-shelf approaches, RGA is committed to understand the client's context and challenges to deliver highly relevant workshop experiences. Below are some examples of sessions we have designed for our audiences. Contact us to explore how we can meet your communication skill-building objectives.
Taking Charge of Challenging Conversations
As organizations rely more on cross-functional and project-based teams to achieve business results, communicating effectively becomes paramount. RGA helps parties learn to structure conversations in ways that focus on sharing perspectives, expanding each other's understanding and providing parties access to new information that can lead to breakthrough solutions and more efficient decision making. See what our clients say about how they've taken their learnings into the workplace.
This workshop is aimed to help people understand the fundamental components of influence and putting techniques into practice that will allow them to become more proficient at influencing. Clients often want to sharpen their influence skills to achieve one or more of the following objectives:
- Get work done effectively in matrix and cross-functional organizations without formal authority
- Sell important projects to key stakeholders
- Procure resources
- Enlist support or endorsement to move work forward
RGA teaches participants about influence fundamentals and techniques using a multi-dimensional case based on real situations and tailored to participants' challenges. Participants leave the session with a customized practice plan to use in a current influence challenge.
Managing Conflict Proactively
Addressing conflict directly and immediately is an indicator of high performance. RGA offers education and instruments such as the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Indicator© (TKI) designed to clarify the underpinnings of conflict and to teach actionable strategies that result in solutions-oriented conversations. We work closely with clients to understand how conflict arises in their particular business environment and to create customized cases that enable them to build and practice skills relevant to their environment.
Understanding and Leveraging Communication Styles
To communicate effectively, one must first build awareness of one's communication style. RGA uses tools such as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator© and FIRO-B© to assess communication preferences and potential blind spots. When working with teams, we use these tools to explore team dynamics and the communication needs relative to the group's goals.
Giving, Receiving and Asking for Feedback
Peer feedback is one of the most powerful yet underutilized avenues of learning. Despite that it is one's colleagues who are in the best position to provide feedback, most do not. Many people are uncomfortable or do not have the skills; typically this task falls to the manager. These skill building sessions result in ongoing learning, increased colleague interaction, peer coaching and enhanced individual and team performance.